Re: [opensuse-factory] [Leap 42.1] IceWM is default login DE after install
  • From: Graham P Davis <hacker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:17:22 +0100
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 22:02:10 +1030
Simon Lees <simon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/11/2015 09:56 PM, Raymond Wooninck wrote:
On Sunday, 11 October 2015 12:22:28 CEST Richard Brown wrote:

It looks like out of the box, sddm is set to use IceWM and not 'KDE
Plasma Desktop' or 'Plasma 5 Desktop' which are the two other
options in the drop down (I don't know the difference, not much of
a KDE guy)
No, this is the wrong conclusion. SDDM does NOT have any default
and will just pick alphabetically the first session file that is
present. Once the user selects a certain desktop, then this will
indeed become the correct default.

sddm can not be configured to start with a particular desktop file,
as that it expects the user to make that choice. Only with
autologin, a default session has to be selected and can therefore
be configured.

One could also wonder why icewm is being installed without the user
selecting this one.

The only way out of this is to make sure that the plasma.desktop
file is the first session file. We can do this during the
installation, but is this what we want ??

Raymond
Its installed as part of the X Window System Pattern which is
probably a dependency of the kde patterns (I didn't check but it is
for most other DE patterns).

I also wonder why this "feature" first appeared at the beta-1 stage;
milestones 1 and 2 had Plasma5 as the default login. Was IceWM not
included in those releases?

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.14.9; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;