Re: [opensuse-factory] [Leap 42.1] IceWM is default login DE after install
Am Sonntag, 11. Oktober 2015, 13:26:51 schrieb Raymond Wooninck:
No, this is the wrong conclusion. SDDM does NOT have any default and will
just pick alphabetically the first session file that is present. Once the
user selects a certain desktop, then this will indeed become the correct
default.

sddm can not be configured to start with a particular desktop file, as that
it expects the user to make that choice. Only with autologin, a default
session has to be selected and can therefore be configured.

That's correct AFAICT.

The only way out of this is to make sure that the plasma.desktop file is the
first session file. We can do this during the installation, but is this
what we want ??

There is another way:
SDDM does remember the chosen session, it saves it in the file
/var/lib/sddm/state.conf.

We could install a file with the following content, to preselect Plasma5 on the
first boot already:
[Last]
# Name of the session file of the last session selected. This session will be
preselected when the login screen shows up.
Session=/usr/share/xsessions/plasma5.desktop

(if the stored session doesn't exist, SDDM just falls back to the
alphabetically first again)

I created a first quick package here:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:wolfi323:test/sddm

Although it should not overwrite the file if it already exists...
I have to change that, maybe by marking it as config file, or installing it in
%post (if it doesn't exist in the system).

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang