Re: [opensuse-factory] Releases going forward
On 2014-01-30T12:54:19, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

- Given the current situation can we meet a May release date?
- Do we skip the May release and move to a yearly cycle and release 13.2 in
November of 2014?

During last year's discussions there were a number of people favoring a
yearly release cycle. We have to make a decision,

- stick to 8 month or move to 12 month?

I expect this is going to be an unpopular vote - but I'm willing to be
pleasantly surprised. ;-)

If I had to choose, I'd say "neither".

Take this chance to adjust to a continuous delivery release stream,
instead of traditional "major releases".

Release what is ready, as soon as it is ready. (Meaning: passes
acceptance criteria.)

Early on, there are bound to be blunders (a.k.a. "shouldn't have
released that"). But the pay-off to users would be to get a stable
distribution that is leading edge - best of both worlds.

And for developers: a stable distribution that rewards them with fast
positive feedback from users. And it'd be an excellent development
platform for the likes of DevOps and OpenStack.

Under any circumstances I'd say our first go around will be a bit rough
around the edges and that's OK, we have to learn.

Exactly. Can we un-learn the "release schedule" lesson please? ;-)

Small stuff - like mutt updates, to pull a random example out of thin
air - could always be released pretty much immediately. Larger bits
(GNOME4, anyone?) would require some more coordination.

That'd be a distribution I'd like to use and contribute too. It'd give
us a profile Ubuntu or Fedora don't have.

Maintainers/Packagers be heard, speak up, but lets not drift into rat holes,
the situation is actually quite simple.

Sorry. ;-)

Regards,
Lars