Re: [opensuse-factory] Releases going forward

On 2014-01-31 08:28, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 01/31/2014 07:36 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

From what has been written, Attachmate is abandoning openSUSE
just like Canonical abandoned Kubuntu. As simple as that.

This is what people will think with all the confusion on this thread,
yes. True or false, this is what we are afraid of. The SUSE people
should be very careful of what they say.

I will try to clarify the situation with three remarks:

Thanks.

1) There are many teams and individuals in SUSE contributing to
the openSUSE project beside the openSUSE Team itself. Let me put it
this way (even if it's not 100% precise): the openSUSE Team is
called this way because it works "full-time" for openSUSE, while
many other teams in the company works "part-time" for the project
and part-time for other stuff. SUSE's involvement in openSUSE goes
far beyond the openSUSE Team.

2) The size and power of the openSUSE Team will not decrease. Same
amount of resources contributing full-time to the project. But it
has been decided that those resources will be more useful for the
project if they concentrate the following months in improving the
development process and the tools. Long term goals that can only be
achieved by a dedicated team.

Ok.

3) As a consequence of (2), the openSUSE Team will not be able to
take care of the release process to release a new openSUSE version
in July '14 (short term).

Sounds reasonable.

I hope I have helped to clarify the picture, which is FAR from
Attachmate abandoning openSUSE.

Thanks.
If this is really what is happening, it is reassuring.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.