[opensuse-factory] Re: Releases going forward
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 22:29, Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@...> wrote:
On 2014-01-30 20:25, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
On 01/30/2014 08:34 PM, Daniele wrote:

I like the idea of 12 month release cycle but with al least one
respin after 6 month. For me respin means: * release all media
with all ufficial updates/bugfix. * minor changes should be
allowed. * not so minor changes could be allowed for leaf
packages

Doing this, installation bugs can be fixed and you don't have to
install dozens of updates after/during installation from network,
you keep more interest in the distro.

This is an excellent idea IMHO, plus we can give more attention to
Tumbleweed between releases.

I would like that; however, it needs dedicating time to actually doing
it, and it appears that man-hours are too scarce.

It would be almost be as having a 6 month release cycle.

No, that is a misunderstanding.

A release cycle has the whole branding-everthing,
release-number-changeing-everywhere, in short a whole
lota stuff that for such a Service-Pack
(aka SP1, SP2,...) is NOT needed nor wanted.

Just these things:

- re-intregrating of of all the stuff from the update-repo back
into the release repo. (copy rpms, recreate indexes, sync mirrors,
a week later clean update-repo)

- If you want to be kind, use the *:updated-apps repos, integrate
them too.

- recreate the media (*.iso)

- do a full QA-run to ensure quality (same as Factory-Milestone)

- announce as 'release-refresh' or 'service-pack-release'

Done.

Best positive side-effect: smaller update-repo means faster
'zypper patch' due to smaller repo-data to transfer and resolv.

- Yamaban.