[opensuse-factory] Re: Re: RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 13:05, Per Jessen <per@...> wrote:

Yamaban wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:42, Stephan Kulow <coolo@...> wrote:

On 27.01.2014 11:39, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
Would be great. Also if someone take the time to offer a kind of
cheat sheet obsolete command -> new way (at least for those who
don't know)

And make noise about it.

Actually I would go one step further and install scripts instead of
the old commands explaining the new usage - not calling the new
commands, but explaining them. And I wouldn't be surprised if other
distributions already have them ;)

Greetings, Stephan

E.g. make use of 'command-not-found' / 'cnf' in bash to give a useful
output.

Apropos scripts, 'ifconfig' without parameters was a nice and fast way
to see all the interfaces and their config in a reliable and human
readable way. It will be the command I'll miss the most.

For most purposes, "ip addr" does the same, I'm only missing the packet
and error counters.

Those stats can be queried with: "ip -s link show", still, it was nice to
have a tool that answered most of the relevant questions about networking
on a machine in one call in a readable at a glance way.

The output from "ip" can be better machine - parsed, but for humans?
Sorry, no gold, not even bronze for "ip", "ifconfig" was / is much more readable.

- Yamaban