[opensuse-factory] Re: RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:42, Stephan Kulow <coolo@...> wrote:

On 27.01.2014 11:39, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
Would be great. Also if someone take the time to offer a kind of cheat sheet
obsolete command -> new way (at least for those who don't know)

And make noise about it.

Actually I would go one step further and install scripts instead of the
old commands explaining the new usage - not calling the new commands,
but explaining them. And I wouldn't be surprised if other distributions
already have them ;)

Greetings, Stephan

E.g. make use of 'command-not-found' / 'cnf' in bash to give a useful output.

Apropos scripts, 'ifconfig' without parameters was a nice and fast way to see all the interfaces and their config in a reliable and human readable way. It will be the command I'll miss the most.

Other wise: +1 for separation into a extra, non-default-install, package.
But please keep in in the main distro repo for at least the coming release (SLE
/ OSS).

- Yamaban