Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: move ifconfig and friends out of default installation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:50:33 +0100
Michal Kubecek wrote:

Hello,

I've got one daring proposition. As you probably know, the ifconfig
utility is obsolete since kernel 2.2 (released 15 years ago) so that
it doesn't show you all requested information, sometimes it shows you
things that don't exist and sometimes it does something else than you
asked. There are more obsolete utilities (like route or arp) and even
one that doesn't work at all for a very long time (rarp).

As we have already kicked out of the distribution tools that were
much less obsolete and much more useful, I propose to move the
obsolete network config utilities out of the default installation,
i.e.

- move ifconfig, route, arp, nameif, ipmaddr, iptunnel into a separate
package, e.g. net-tools-obsolete, which wouldn't be part of a
default installation

What has replaced arp?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.7°C)