Re: [opensuse-factory] 12.3 -- if it isn't too late....
On 03/04/2013 11:10 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Monday 2013-03-04 10:30, Jiri Slaby wrote:

Methinks that this is taking it a bit too far. make and gcc are required
to be able to compile the nvidia driver to be able to get a decent
picture on the screen as well as to be able to get the Desktop Effects
working. Fooling around with a kernel is not part of getting the oS to
work correctly.

I don't care about nvidia, so I really don't need a compiler on a
machine. Some manuals also say this is not safe on a production machine.

Every normal user has repositories set up, so it can be installed in a blink.

Whatever. If a package needs something it should 'Require:' it, right?

The workers of build.opensuse.org are damn well "production", in the notion
that people will be upset if they (or in case of redundancy, sufficiently many
of them) do not work.

I don't see the point. I'm talking about production machines like web
servers.

Likewise are HPC computing machines at your local university DC. In fact,
without gcc, they would not even be "production"-productive.
What a bullshit some maunals are.

They are not bullshit at all. I'm talking about a different sort of
services. Not a machines accessible to stus. Those are a completely
different story.

--
js
suse labs