Re: [opensuse-factory] repository priorities with Tumbleweed
Greg KH wrote:
No, please don't confuse people, if you add more repos than just
Tumbleweed you really had better know what you are doing

How am I supposed to "know better what I am doing" if there is:

- no official (SDB) documentation on priorities
(I could add it based on Cristian Vegas forum post: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/474523-software-management-dist-upgrade-way.html)

- no docu on how to use Tumbleweed+Packman in the packman wiki (this is not your problem, I will ask packman to add it)

- almost no docu in the community-wiki: http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_formats/Tumbleweed
There is no word about setting priorities which is recommended by you and Cristian Vega WHEN using TW+packman - if I understood right.

Is it legaly possiple to add a link from en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed to the packman-wiki-page and/or the community-wiki-page explaining TW+packman?

Please do not say that you just should not use TW+packman because many bleeding edge users (and most TW users are bleeding edge) just do it rely on packman.

Don't add anything about repo priorities
to http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed, why do that, it just confuses
people.

I am a user (not a developer) and I am confused because of the lack of documentation of features. You cannot overloock that there are priorities in yast/software-management, so you need to know how to use them best or they should be hidden behind an "expert-button" or so, and even then they need documentation. I admit there are 2 centences about priorities in Yast/repo-management if you click "Help", but they do not tell why one would use priorities or how they are used best in which situation.

So:
- user was confused about priorities (+TW)
- user found help in forum+mailinglist
- user wants to give his new knowledge to the community so other users won´t have to dig for the info in forum+mailinglist again

But...as the OS community discusses right now if/how to strengthen
Tumbleweed... one way would be, that Packman+TW would be supported
BY Packman.

How do you know that it isn't already supported by packman? Last time I
checked, it was...

What means support here? As I state above, their wiki-guidance on TW is far from complete...

I hope I explained my point of view better this time :D
Thanks for your time - Thomas