Re: [opensuse-factory] Current status of Live CDs
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Brian K. White <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Personally I do disable desktop/home/MyDocument indexing everywhere,
windows, linux, etc. In my case it's just a bad trade-off. My machines are
slower 100% of the time at 100% of their tasks, just so that .01% of
operations .01% of the time can be maybe 50% faster.

If I had larger libraries of random documents and they were'nt already
indexed by virtue of being contained in some db driven application, just a
huge mass of utterly disorganized files, *maybe* then indexing my desktop
makes sense. I'd probably have to live to be 400 years old before it becomes
that much of a problem.

I have lots of PDFs I've downloaded with names like 10.1.1.14.pdf ;-)

But that's somewhere between merely my personal preference and at best a
different conversation about the virtue of indexers at all, where in this
case I was only speaking within the scope of "We have some indexers, how to
make them behave best?"

--
bkw

Meanwhile ... I don't have enough to file a bug yet but it looks like
there might be a performance issue of some kind in GNOME shell on 12.2
beta 2. It's significantly slower than 12.1.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.