Re: [opensuse-factory] Current status of Live CDs
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:07:52 -0700
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Brian K. White <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've since read the later posts that it's probably not indexing anything
that actually came with the livcd but is indexing the various other drives
it discovers plugged in to the system. If that is in fact the case, then as
someone else said it should be pretty straightforward to tweak the shipped
settings not to autoscan & index discovered drives. Especially it shouldn't
be doing any such thing before any user has even logged in and started a
session.

Would it index them if they weren't mounted in the file manager? I
haven't had a chance to test the KDE LiveCD, but the GNOME one doesn't
mount the disks unless you go into the file manager and do it.

There is also ionice in addition to regular nice. Is it being used? An
ioniced process will still cause some performance hit even if it's i/o is
lower priority, just by virtue of flushing the cache let alone the physical
disk contention, but it is something and possibly even more apropos than
nice.

That's pretty much b0rked on my 4 GB machine with recent kernels. I
really should get a machine with more RAM. The USB ports aren't all
that healthy on this gizmo either. ;-)

Perhaps the indexer(s) can also be taught to display an activity indicator
bubble on the desktop too.

"Your cpu is at 100% because we are busy building you a really cool and
powerful index of all your stuff as fast as this machine can go, look we're
23% done already... and look, notice everything is still magically working
fast even though all this hard work is going on in the background. Dang
Linux is powerful stuff, and you, lucky user, now _wield_ that power.
Welcome to openSUSE Linux. Do not operate while intoxicated."

It's still a problem on Windows 7 - the default is to index and if you
have any amount of "stuff" your hard drive is constantly busy. That's
why I boot my laptop into Linux in the first place. ;-)

Maybe something briefer. ;)

Between UEFI, the ghastly Metro interface and all the other nonsense
coming with Windows 8, I think when this workstation finally becomes
unusable beyond redemption I'm going for an iMac. ;-)

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.