Re: [opensuse-factory] Current status of Live CDs
On 6/20/2012 10:58 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Juan Erbes <jerbes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now, when I have resolved the akonadi issues, moving the executables,
yet I found other similar crap, and it comes from gnome, and is the
tracker-extract which uses a lot of cpu and memory, with about 10
proceses. I do'nt know if it was installed as a dependency of
zeitgeist.

I prefer the old style of the findutils-locate, which is accesible via console.

Regards,
Juan

I'm not sure of the exact connections between "zeitgeist" and
"tracker" just yet, but you're right - like Akonaid / Strigi /
Nepomuk, it's indexing certain parts of your filesystem the first time
it comes up for something called a "semantic desktop". It should be
suppressable for a LiveCD via standard GNOME configuration tools,
though. It should come up on an *installed* system and index the first
time the system boots.

On an installed 12.1 / GNOME3 desktop, type "tracket-preferences" to
get a GUI to adjust the settings. I don't know how to adjust the
settings in configuration files but I know there's a way.

Or, and don't kill me for playing devils advocate just trying to be fair and complete, another option is, IF it is decided that the semantic desktop feature is a valuable thing, then maybe it can be pre-indexed and canned, so the livecd is already fully indexed when it first comes up.

--
bkw