Re: [opensuse-factory] Current status of Live CDs
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 03:08:32AM -0400, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar
wrote:

Quoting DenverD <DenverD@xxxxxxx>:

On 06/21/2012 04:58 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

anyway (imo) at very least a default cron should launch such speed-sinks
some time (30 minutes?) after system startup, and it should be launched
with nice, so that it actually is.

Last time I checked, the tracker-extractor IS running with nice 19! That
does not mean it can't boost the CPU to 100% though (which it does usually
for a rather short time).

I haven't seen issues with tracker 'taking away' snappiness of the system
in a long time.. geeks looking at a CPU spike don't mind it, if they
understand it...

Most of the time, though, the users 'noting' the 100% CPU spike are not
aware of niceness of the tasks (it does exist on Windows.. but honestly:
anybody ever used it more than 'what does this do'?). So instead of
advising them to uninstall the 'offender', it might be smarter (although
more time consuming) to explain the situation.

I actually kill and wipe tracker from my installation as soon as I get
slowdowns.

Even nice 19 will not help with IO bandwith drain experience shows.

Ciao, Marcus