Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
On Monday 2012-06-18 17:21, Greg KH wrote:

Yes, but that has not much to do wth the issue here, USE flags are not
something that openSUSE wants to get into, and it's one thing that I
think is a big problem in Gentoo, as well as a strength.

Note, I've been a Gentoo developer longer than I've been a openSUSE
developer, so I know how Gentoo works pretty well :)

Anyone know how Debian handles library checkins into their build system?
Do they always rebuild everything? Or is there some other process to
determine if rebuilds happen?

It looks as if Debian does not have any automatic rebuilds at all.

Yes, it's a manual process. See
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=670299 for instance.

So, either we come up with a manual way to do this for openSUSE,

openSUSE:Factory's prjconf already uses rebuild="local", which is
essentially this manual operation.

Setting to manual however should be screwing us over on SONAME
changes. To that end, I am currently running a script, and have already
identified one problematic package:

Problem: ingenting inneholder libboost_serialization.so.1.46.1()(64bit)
som kreves av compiz-plugins-extra-0.9.5.94-4.6.x86_64
(Nothing contains libboost_serialization.so.1.46.1 needed by
compiz-plugins-extra-0.9.5.94-4.6.x86_64)

Completely manual rebuilding à la Debian? No thanks.
I think we should use rebuild="direct" at least.