Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:36:49AM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le samedi 16 juin 2012, à 01:59 +0200, Jan Engelhardt a écrit :

On Saturday 2012-06-16 01:46, Greg KH wrote:

Yes, but that has not much to do wth the issue here, USE flags are not
something that openSUSE wants to get into, and it's one thing that I
think is a big problem in Gentoo, as well as a strength.

Note, I've been a Gentoo developer longer than I've been a openSUSE
developer, so I know how Gentoo works pretty well :)

Anyone know how Debian handles library checkins into their build system?
Do they always rebuild everything? Or is there some other process to
determine if rebuilds happen?

It looks as if Debian does not have any automatic rebuilds at all.

Yes, it's a manual process. See
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=670299 for instance.

Ah, many thanks for that.

So, either we come up with a manual way to do this for openSUSE, or we
drown in rebuilds for no good reason (one specific example that just hit
Tumbleweed this weekend, update e2fsprogs and watch your whole distro
rebuild, that really shouldn't happen...)

thanks,

greg k-h