Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)

On Saturday 2012-06-16 01:46, Greg KH wrote:

Yes, but that has not much to do wth the issue here, USE flags are not
something that openSUSE wants to get into, and it's one thing that I
think is a big problem in Gentoo, as well as a strength.

Note, I've been a Gentoo developer longer than I've been a openSUSE
developer, so I know how Gentoo works pretty well :)

Anyone know how Debian handles library checkins into their build system?
Do they always rebuild everything? Or is there some other process to
determine if rebuilds happen?

It looks as if Debian does not have any automatic rebuilds at all.
(As do some other distributions; you will notice when, for example,
they bump their Release: number in .spec files in CVS manually
without any other change to it.)

For example, the most recent pam_mount (libpam-mount.deb) is from Apr
1 2012, even though the util-linux libs are from May 21, and libc is
even from Jun 9.