Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:05:11PM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But real life has shown that marking packages for incompatible changes
is not working good enough. And suddenly you hunt problems for a long
time which in the end a rebuild is fixing.

Yeah, it's a tough problem.  Gentoo has a tool that does this for you.
Anyone know what Debian does?  They must have solved this otherwise
their build system would be constantly running behind.

thanks,

greg k-h

Gentoo has a very flexible way of making things work via USE flags,
which is great when you're compiling everything from source. You
essentially customize your system(s) from the ground up, the defaults
"just work" and when you change a USE flag to add or remove a feature,
the system figures out what you need to recompile, which is often a
huge load.

Yes, but that has not much to do wth the issue here, USE flags are not
something that openSUSE wants to get into, and it's one thing that I
think is a big problem in Gentoo, as well as a strength.

Note, I've been a Gentoo developer longer than I've been a openSUSE
developer, so I know how Gentoo works pretty well :)

Anyone know how Debian handles library checkins into their build system?
Do they always rebuild everything? Or is there some other process to
determine if rebuilds happen?

thanks,

greg k-h