Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:25:49 +0200
Am 15.06.2012 06:59 schrieb Greg KH:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 06:53:58AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
What we work on:
- ssd tests
Does this also include PCIe ssds? They are a few orders of magnitude
faster than the SATA ones it seems, for a server, highly recommended.

I've yet to see a real PCIe SSD (i.e. not a PCIe card with some SATA
controllers and SATA SSDs onboard) which is supported by a mainline
Linux kernel and I've talked to quite a few vendors. FusionIO and others
offer binary-only kernel modules for their SSDs, but I wouldn't want to
use binary-only drivers anywhere, especially in OBS.
If you know real, shipping PCIe SSD hardware which is supported by
mainline Linux, please tell us.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--