Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
Am 15.06.2012 06:52, schrieb Greg KH:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 06:43:25AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 14.06.2012 21:48, schrieb Adrian Schröter:
But real life has shown that marking packages for incompatible changes
is not working good enough. And suddenly you hunt problems for a long
time which in the end a rebuild is fixing.

I build factory this way now for almost 2 years if I'm not mistaken - I
hunted bugs as you say about 3 to 6 times in that period. So while there
may be problems with it, it's not worth the extra waiting time.
Especially if you want to test the stuff and not just expect a green page.

How do I set this up on a repo to take advantage of it?
You can't right now. Factory builds with block="never" (all packages
build in parallel unless specific buildrequires make it unresolveable)
and rebuild="local" (builds are only triggered manual or by source changes).

But then I also sync the factory repo every 10 minutes to my work
station (that's the part you won't be able to do), run a repo check and
trigger rebuilds on packages with broken dependencies (for soname changes).

This later part would need to be handled on OBS side to be useful
outside of factory.

I really think what I do for factory should be our default for
tumbleweed too - but what we do need is really an easy way to trigger
subtrees in dependency order.

A subtree being what, a set of packages with the dependency chain?
Wouldn't that be trigerable if I manually ask for one to be rebuilt, the
others would as well?

Not in local rebuild mode. I have to write a script right now if I want
to rebuild everything based on perl right now. But what I need often is
a "rebuild everything depending on gtk3 and this time with blocked
packages".

Greetings, Stephan