Re: [opensuse-factory] Build system solutions (was Re: Calling for a new openSUSE development model)
Am 14.06.2012 23:15, schrieb Greg KH:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:48:30PM +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012, 12:34:44 schrieb Greg KH:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:46:32AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
3. As working more strictly will require more time, I would like to
either ditch release schedules all together or release only once a
year and then rebase Tumbleweed - as already discussed in the RC1
thread.

I like this idea, for a variety of reasons :)

But, before that can ever happen, we need two big things to be solved:

1) Build system speed
I speak as someone who builds stuff a lot, probably second only to
Factory. The build system speed sucks. Badly. Now I know we are

yes, we need to become faster. We have multiple ideas atm how to approach
it, we just need some time for it ...

Nice, any pointers to where these ideas are?

No, we do not record lunch conversations :)

What we work on:
- tmpfs builds for smaller jobs
- ssd tests
- prebuilt images to speed up the initial package installation
(also for smaller jobs)

What we need too is really faster hardware - some sponsor for that would
be great, you might have good contacts :)

Greetings, Stephan