On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 03:00:25PM +0300, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
On 06/14/2012 02:39 PM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 14.06.2012 13:35, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
On 06/14/2012 01:52 PM, todd rme wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Stephan Kulow<coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
3. As working more strictly will require more time, I would like to
either ditch release schedules all together or release only once a
year and then rebase Tumbleweed - as already discussed in the RC1
thread.
What if we do it the other way around? We have Tumbleweed as the
"official" openSUSE version (which is only rebased when SLES is
released), and we periodically pull out a version of Tumbleweed and
release it as a versioned openSUSE? This version would be frozen with
a specific set of package versions, and the release cycle would only
involve fixing problems in those versions? That way we avoid the
problem of new updates breaking existing fixes during the polishing
phase.

-Todd
Very good idea :)
Please be a bit more verbatim in this thread - I tried to ask very
kindly, but let me put it again a bit harsher: please no fan boys in
this thread. If you know how factory is developed, if you suffered the
problems of running or developing against factory, share your insight.

But if you just try to add noise to the thread - DO NOT!

Greetings, Stephan

HI Stephan,

I am not trying to add noise to this discussion, I just thought that
this suggestion should have more attention.
Sorry if I didn't make any arguments to support this, so here they are:

I have tried beta1 on both virtual environments and through live cd's
and I realize that there are many problems and issues unresolved at this
point (zypper-yast, grub 2, kde). The most annoying for me was the grub
installation that failed everytime under virtual box. I totally agree
with you about not wanting to release RC1 yet.

At the same time I must share the feeling I have that Tumbleweed seems
to be very stable for a long time. At least to the part I am actively
involved (Application:GEO) I can see that it could be used as a base to
a new release, since we are getting fewer failures on the long run.

I understand on the other hand that having a move to a rolling model
would be more demanding, and as GregH stated he would need more man
power on this. Plus there might be an issue on kernel updates versus
application updates. I am also worried how this would work for server
installations (that I also have to maintain).

What I like on this suggestion is the "Release when it is ready" part.
Plus, where I work and promote openSUSE to my students, I recently see
more interest in rolling distros. I think desktop users are getting
tired of constantly getting new versions every 6 or 8 months, and might
prefer a well maintained rolling version. Just my 2c.

The problem is that Tumbleweed only exchanged some very selected core
parts.

Neither perl, python, gcc, boost, etc. that expose bitrot are exchanged.

Ciao, Marcus