  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:30:24 +0200
On Thursday 14 June 2012 12:52:49 todd rme wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
3. As working more strictly will require more time, I would like to
either ditch release schedules all together or release only once a
year and then rebase Tumbleweed - as already discussed in the RC1
thread.

What if we do it the other way around? We have Tumbleweed as the
"official" openSUSE version (which is only rebased when SLES is
released), and we periodically pull out a version of Tumbleweed and
release it as a versioned openSUSE? This version would be frozen with
a specific set of package versions, and the release cycle would only
involve fixing problems in those versions? That way we avoid the
problem of new updates breaking existing fixes during the polishing
phase.

So, in a sense, Factory becomes a unstable repo for Tumbleweed and we
release stabilized snapshots of Tumbleweed. And we maintain those, then.

Interesting idea. The basing it on SLES would not work, I think - they base
on us so - say hello to the recursive release cycle :D

But if it would work using Factory as devel repo for Tumbleweed, it might be
possible. It would certainly emphasize the importance of Tumbleweed -
basically putting it in the center of attention. But due to stabilizing,
releasing and maintaining the snapshots we'd still cater for those who need
a stable system.

I do wonder if we don't just introduce new issues. It is my understanding
that due to the way Tumbleweed works, it needs regular rebasing as the
hardcore plumbing is very hard to do without that.

-Todd