Re: [opensuse-factory] HALLO - ANYBODY OUT THERE? [WAS About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)]
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:55:43 -0700
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 19:26 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

The use of USB sticks is really not something to be seriously
considered. Not everyone has the ability to use this medium.

percentage?

However, there is little difference cost-wise or effort-wise between
having to burn a CD and a blank single-layer DVD.

I am NOT talking here about releasing 4.3GB of data to fill a SL DVD but
saying that if the volume of data to be downloaded by users is only
marginally greater then what would fit on a standard CD then there
wouldn't be a problem.

In fact there were a few LIVEs "CD"s recently which I had to burn to a DVD.

Downloading ~800MB to be burnt onto a DVD is acceptable - but not
downloading 4.3GB.

Discussion was more about 1GB instead of 700 or 800MB...

Allthough i'm in favour of live-images of 1GB there is one risk:
With repair or netboot images the incentive to keep the image small is
obvious. Just like cd 700MB limitation of a cdrom.

When that limitation is removed, there might be a tendency that for 12.2
the live image is 800MB, the next 1GB, next one 1.5GB.
If not careful we end up with a live-blu-ray, live-data-centre or a
live-cloud ;-))

hans

Exactly! Yes, the trend is for optical media to vanish. But for 12.2
there's a commitment for the four media previously delivered: NET
Install that fits on a Mini CD, GNOME and KDE that fit on a 700MB CD
and an install DVD that fits on a 4.7 GB DVD. That's what we should
ship for 12.2 even if it means making some sacrifices of lesser used
packages. We *have* popularity data; I've seen the rankings in SUSE
Studio. So I know there are packages we can axe to get things to fit
the committed formats.

For the next release, there's lots of discussion, including discussion
of the release / schedule strategy. My proposal is to switch to a
Debian-style "release when we are stable" for at least the LAMP stack
and other server-level components - Perl, Python/DJango,
Ruby/Rails/Sinatra/WebYast and PostgreSQL.

For more active upstream components, like Node.js, NoSQL databases,
compilers, desktops and applications, I like the Tumbleweed approach -
lag upstream as little as possible without breaking installed systems
or introducing dependency nightmares. For release media, I'd favor a
"Puppy Linux" sized MiniCD with IceWM or maybe OpenBox and NET install
and 1GB and 4GB LiveUSB images, eliminating the 700 MB and 4.7 GB
media.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.