Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 09:55:46PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

Before more people blindly add more +1 to replies without even thinking,
here is a try to summarize it:

What we have:
/usr separate doesn't work properly with today's tools and needs more
and more hacks to make it work. It has the same issues with SYSV
already, only very basic server-like setups setups work without
problems. Like it or not, it doesn't reliably work today.

How we can fix it today:
The only sensible fix today is to mount /usr in the initramfs before the
real system is brought up. Everything after that will just work without
any of the earlier mentioned mentioned problems.

Why not adding dependcy rules for udev rules relying on /usr data and/or
/usr tools. Then udevd could delay those rules upto the point where e.g.
/usr is mounted. Those dependcy rules should follow the same scheme
and rules as the LSB rules for the boot and runlevel scripts already
well defined.

What we really want:
The only sensible future picture is to stop the insanity of splitting
random tools from /usr to the same named directories in /. It just does
not make any sense to continue that, and all stuff should move back
to /usr where it belongs.
What / was for ancient UNIX is the initramfs for Linux. There is no use
case for / anymore, it just adds complexity, spreads stuff across many
top-level directories, and all that for no good reason and no benefit
these days.
We want /usr, on whatever storage. We want read-only /usr, we want to
share /usr across many boxes/containers/guests. But we don't want the
mindless split between / and /usr. And we don't want to boot with only
half of the system available.

Again, nothing from the above is systemd specific. Please stop adding
any more nonsense to this mail thread and start to think about the
underlying problem first.

Werner