Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:55:46 +0200
On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 19:41 +0200, Roger Karlsson wrote:
Does this mean that IBM will enforce that /usr and
other useful partitions will be only avaiable by
using initramfs?

WHY? You don't need /usr on a separate partition anymore.

I'm aware that a separate /usr is only optional. Personal I do not
use a separate /usr partition. Nevertheless I know customers using
such /usr partition to minimize downtime due e.g. file system problems.

Wouldn't it be better to fix the real problem instead?

I understand what you are saying, and why, but having choices is a big
deal in the *ix world and I don't like all the suggestions that thoose
having a /usr partition are wrong. Isn't it up to them?

Before more people blindly add more +1 to replies without even thinking,
here is a try to summarize it:

What we have:
/usr separate doesn't work properly with today's tools and needs more
and more hacks to make it work. It has the same issues with SYSV
already, only very basic server-like setups setups work without
problems. Like it or not, it doesn't reliably work today.

How we can fix it today:
The only sensible fix today is to mount /usr in the initramfs before the
real system is brought up. Everything after that will just work without
any of the earlier mentioned mentioned problems.

What we really want:
The only sensible future picture is to stop the insanity of splitting
random tools from /usr to the same named directories in /. It just does
not make any sense to continue that, and all stuff should move back
to /usr where it belongs.
What / was for ancient UNIX is the initramfs for Linux. There is no use
case for / anymore, it just adds complexity, spreads stuff across many
top-level directories, and all that for no good reason and no benefit
these days.
We want /usr, on whatever storage. We want read-only /usr, we want to
share /usr across many boxes/containers/guests. But we don't want the
mindless split between / and /usr. And we don't want to boot with only
half of the system available.

Again, nothing from the above is systemd specific. Please stop adding
any more nonsense to this mail thread and start to think about the
underlying problem first.

Kay