Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On 06/20/2011 10:41 AM, Dr. Werner Fink pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:21:43AM -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 06/20/2011 04:40 AM, Dr. Werner Fink pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 07:43:12PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

I'd like to know what the big vendors are thinking about this.
Introducing risks due lazy/snooty systemd developers can not be
a reason to ignore well-founded and common rules how to handle
big severs.

Most of the 'lazy/snooty systemd developers' work for the biggest
vendors. :)

Does this mean that IBM will enforce that /usr and
other useful partitions will be only avaiable by
using initramfs?

WHY? You don't need /usr on a separate partition anymore.

I'm aware that a separate /usr is only optional. Personal I do not
use a separate /usr partition. Nevertheless I know customers using
such /usr partition to minimize downtime due e.g. file system problems.

Wouldn't it be better to fix the real problem instead?

I was first exposed to UNIX in 1988. Back then the largest harddrives
were not big enough to fit the whole operating system let alone user
login info plus any user data. There was no choice but to split some
directories off onto a separate drives (partitions).

Let's get our heads out of the sand and our asses and get with modern times.

Hmmm, I'm not speaking about my personal system setup. On my own
privat system I've /, /var, /tmp, /boot, and /home on different
partitions, that is / and /boot on a 64G SSD and the rest on
a 1TB SATA III.

The only directories I see as being beneficial on a separate
partition are the "tmp" directories which can fill a drive rather
quickly if not watched.

Again, this is also you're personal setup just as my personal
setup ... but IMHO we should like not to ignore other setups.

No, this is my personal opinion not how my system is setup.

I only ever use three partitions /(xfs), /boot(ext2) and swap.

Werner

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998