Re: [opensuse-factory] mirrorbrain
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:25:50 +0200
Michael Schroeder wrote:

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 09:21:09PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Lars Vogdt wrote:
The problem with US is not only that we miss some powerful mirrors
in this region. We already discussed the possibility to have some
"GeoIP based servers" hosting download.opensuse.org - but until
now, our internet provider could not offer us some Nameservers that
can handle requests based on the GeoIP of the requester.
In a beautiful world, we would have:
a) DNS servers pointing users to their closest incarnation of
download.opensuse.org
b) a lot of mirrors in the region which the redirector can redirect

But isn't exactly what mirrorbrain is supposed to help do?

No, Lars is talking about having an US based mirrorbrain
instance.

Ah, yes, that might make sense. Alternatively, how about a better
connection/host for the current mirrorbrain?
Wrt DNS, my company runs dns24.ch, we have no problem doing geoip-based
dns views/zones. Please get in touch off-line if that could be
helpful.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.0°C)