Re: [opensuse-factory] mirrorbrain
On 03/28/2011 09:21 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Lars Vogdt wrote:

On Fr 25 Mär 2011 19:45:46 CET Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

http://en.opensuse.org/MirrorBrain

Am I the only one in the US to find this to be more bad than good?
Just about any time I use download.opensuse.org repos instead of a
specific mirror for a lengthy dup, I find either slower than average
download speeds, and/or find downloading halted by errors that do not
self correct via retries.

The problem with US is not only that we miss some powerful mirrors in
this region. We already discussed the possibility to have some "GeoIP
based servers" hosting download.opensuse.org - but until now, our
internet provider could not offer us some Nameservers that can handle
requests based on the GeoIP of the requester.
In a beautiful world, we would have:
a) DNS servers pointing users to their closest incarnation of
download.opensuse.org
b) a lot of mirrors in the region which the redirector can redirect to

But isn't exactly what mirrorbrain is supposed to help do?

It should, but I've an interest in knowing what happen, basically if nscd is
running one of it's job is to intercept hostnames
requests and served them from it's cache.

One time in US I was hit by this kind of bad/or slow mirror. Each time I try to
zypper something the same was returned.
rcnscd restart give me another address ....

(sorry but I don't remember which ncd or unscd was installed at that time)

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador