Re: [opensuse-factory] mirrorbrain
  • From: Ken Savage <kens1835@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:37:43 -0700
On 03/25/2011 03:11 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

On the contrary. I didn't email the list using an attachment, and I expect a
polite reply to contain no attachment. I asked using plain text, without
inviting any other kind response or providing any inference that some other
> [...]
http://www.emailaddresses.com/email-attachment-etiquette.htm explains my
position on email attachments, which I treat as spam (delete, manually if
not done automatically by my filters) regardless of source or intent of sender.

I'm sorry here, but I would have to say Marco did no ill behaviour. The
rest of the world out there aren't mind readers, nor do they conveniently
have a smorgasbord of email etiquette URLs to match up with every developer
to which they are replying. You solicited some information which was provided as a textual attachment by someone legitimately trying to honestly
give you assistance.

If your email / listserv reader has difficulties with these attachments, I
suggest upgrading. I hear openSUSE 11.4 has a number of fine applications
which would function nicely in this regard ;)

If, for whatever reason you're scared of a virus or rogue attachment, you may consider running your web browser and email client in a VirtualBox
session, snapshotting it before you read something possibly nefarious, and
reverting back if something went wrong. I think that level of suspicion
is extreme, but I've been known to do it with some binary-only applications.

Cheers,

Ken