Re: [opensuse-factory] C implementation of update-alternatives
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:10:45 +0200
Michal Vyskocil write:
Hi all,

I noticed Debian folks reimplemented the old good update-alternatives command
from Perl to C. That means your-favourite-program (like awk or vim) will no
longer depends on Perl in openSUSE.

I think it is useless as perl is required part of opensuse. Kernel depends on
kernel :) and for handling such configuration I think is perl good tool.

Good think is - new implementation is backward compatible, so no changes in
%scripts are required, no reinstallation and so. And what is better, the
simple %post update-alternatives --install %preun update-alternatives
--remove
calls would work without a problem, which is the most common use-case.

I found only two notable differences:

1.) more verbose by default - considering to change it, as all things are
already logged to /var/log/alternatives.log
zypper remove java-1_6_0-openjdk
Removing java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.6.0.0_b18-1.29 [done]
Additional rpm output:
update-alternatives: warning: alternative /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-
openjdk/bin/java (part of link group java) doesn't exist. Removing from list
of alternatives.
update-alternatives: warning: alternative /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk
(part of link group jre_openjdk) doesn't exist. Removing from list of
alternatives.
... and much more

2.) Don't allow the same slave alternative in more than one - bnc#648260 -
even if it's a bug in openjdk packaging

I prepared package is in OBS - home:mvyskocil:update-alternatives/update-
alternatives [1]. Please test (at least) your package with newest update-
alternatives and bug me in case of troubles, thanks.

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=update-
alternatives&project=home%3Amvyskocil%3Aupdate-alternatives

Following list shows which packages use update-alternatives in some of
%script.

jsmeix:
* gawk

gnome-maintainers: