Re: [opensuse-factory] WebM Support?
  • From: Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:15:57 +0200
Am Dienstag, 25. Mai 2010, 21:29:23 schrieb Andrew Wafaa:
On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 21:10 +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2010, Vincent Untz wrote:
We chatted a bit about this on irc a few days ago. The main issue will
likely be that the legal review might take some time, which means it'll
really be too late for 11.3 :/ But I'd love to have webm support in
11.3, indeed.

How about shipping if after the release, in case?

Only issue with that is *everyone* will be doing that, and as such we
will have no edge over our counterparts. I would love to see it shipped
with 11.3, but what with the MPEG-LA grumbling and even the OSI make
some less than positive noises, I can't see that happening.

Regards,

Andy

I don't see the benefit for haste here, flash is a somewhat working solution,
it's not like we are loosing out if we don't provide it right now.
Comments on the web don't sound very fond of the current codebase, anything
shipped with 11.3 wants to be supported, when flash crashes we know where to
point =)

Using konqui or any other phonon based app will propably be able to use it
when the pacman team decides to ship it in xine, ffmpeg, gstreamer etc.

Karsten

PS:
I am looking forward to kicking flash from my system as well, but VP8 isn't
the knight in white armor just yet.