Re: [opensuse-factory] WebM Support?
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 21:40:47 +0200
2010/5/25 Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, 24 May 2010, Vincent Untz wrote:
We chatted a bit about this on irc a few days ago. The main issue will
likely be that the legal review might take some time, which means it'll
really be too late for 11.3 :/ But I'd love to have webm support in
11.3, indeed.

How about shipping if after the release, in case?

What's exactly needed?
- Chromium and Firefox? I don't really know, but I expect them to use
xine/gstreamer/whatever for the multimedia support. So, nothing to do?
- ffmpeg? We don't provide it, Packman does. And Packman updates it
continously... it will be available when it's ready, independently of
openSUSE releases.
- GStreamer? If the legal team decides we can't provide a VP8 decoder
we are again in the same situation than with ffmpeg. Otherwise I don't
expect a VP8 GStreamer plugin to require the *latest* version of
GStreamer, so we can always provide it after the release if we really
want. Otherwise it will be available in an OBS repository anyway...