Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 12:38:04 +0200
On 05/04/2010 12:16 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le lundi 03 mai 2010, à 14:12 +0200, Pavol Rusnak a écrit :
On 04/26/2010 11:13 AM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Karsten König wrote:
I was wondering if there is a definite decision about how to go on forward
with the seperation of Contrib and mainline Factory.

If I remember correctly Contrib was the place to submit stuff to as normal
contributor to openSUSE, now Factory is open for everybody to submit
stuff,
based on reputation, skills and whatnot. So what's the future of Contrib
now,
this looks like a limbo state to me.

Ack. Contrib doesn't make sense to me either.

It did make sense when each package in Factory had to have a maintainer
from Novell.

What I propose is the following:

a) branch o:F:C into o:11.3:C when Factory is branched into 11.3

b) once Factory is open for new packages, find devel projects for all
packages in Contrib, move them there and send requests for inclusion Factory

c) once B is finished, kill o:F:C and maintain only forked version of
Contrib (+properly communicate the changes so people will be aware they
can (and should) push their packages into Factory)

Comments?

I like the plan (I've been pushing GNOME stuff from Contrib to Factory
this cycle already ;-)). That being said, at least in GNOME, there are
some packages that we don't feel comfortable integrating in Factory yet,
but we still want to make them available easily. And we use Contrib for
that.

Are there other people with a similar need? If no, we'll just find
another way :-)

I agree to what Michael Vyskocil and you said. I have a small number of
packages in Contrib which are useful for people but I cannot give them
the same level of maintenance as I (would) do for stuff in Factory.
E.g. that includes abook which was dropped from Factory a while ago
because it doesn't progress anymore (who cares btw). So at some point
people (from within Novell) dropped a lot of packages in favor of OBS
and _even_ Contrib. Now we are turning around? Nothing really changed
since then. It's also not obvious to people which packages in Factory
end up in which product. So my current understanding is that everything
in Factory ends up as official package in the FTP tree and needs to be
maintained properly. For Contrib I would expect a bit loose rules as I
understood it's "community supported" and doesn't get the same level of
maintenance necessarily.
If that changed or if I understood wrong please let us know.

Wolfgang