Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 11:20:58 +0200
On Tuesday 04 May 2010 10:53:23 am Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Michal Vyskocil wrote:
0) Are the maintenance rules for openSUSE same as in Contrib? For
instance can I update a (a leaf one, but Contrib is intended for leaf
packages only) package as a bugfix? Because as I remember that was the
biggest reason for Contrib after opening the Factory.

Hi Ludwig,

You can update packages in Factory all day long (minus temporary
freeze before branching a new product). Maintenance is an issue only
if a package gets included in a product.

I'm sure I understand the development and a maintenance process well ;-)

Having a package on a products means greater responsibility of course.

Yes and this is exactly why I asked if maintenance rules were not changed (and
I did not catch that change somehow). The main reason why I have some packages
in Contrib and not in Factory is because I don't want to take this level of
responsibility for maintenance. I'm willing to provide the "best effort", but
that's all from my side.

So if there are a plans to merge Contrib into Factory, maintainers should be
very aware about that responsibility. And it's very curious to me, that noone
thought about future maintenance, when they propose a merge.

Those responsibilities are a result of user expectations on openSUSE.

With an existence of widely used (and many times recommended) BuildService
repositories - the situation changed a lot. I already agree with having strict
rules for Factory, but as situation rapidly changed from old times, I also see
the need for more let say - flexible, but no that supported repository. And
that's a Contrib in my eyes - but maybe I'm completely wrong.

They need to be discussed separately from the technical requirements for
a Factory checkin.

Yes it might be discussed separately. But it's very close, because for
separate Contrib it'd be really useful to use the same QA checks as a Factory
has.

There's no excuse for avoiding Factory just to bypass openSUSE packaging
policy IMO.

Sorry did not understand, what/who avoiding the packaging policy and how?

Regards
Michal Vyskocil
< Previous Next >