Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:52:06 +0200
On Monday 03 May 2010 02:12:42 pm Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 04/26/2010 11:13 AM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Karsten König wrote:
I was wondering if there is a definite decision about how to go on
forward with the seperation of Contrib and mainline Factory.

If I remember correctly Contrib was the place to submit stuff to as
normal contributor to openSUSE, now Factory is open for everybody to
submit stuff, based on reputation, skills and whatnot. So what's the
future of Contrib now, this looks like a limbo state to me.

Ack. Contrib doesn't make sense to me either.

It did make sense when each package in Factory had to have a maintainer
from Novell.

What I propose is the following:

0) Are the maintenance rules for openSUSE same as in Contrib? For instance can
I update a (a leaf one, but Contrib is intended for leaf packages only)
package as a bugfix? Because as I remember that was the biggest reason for
Contrib after opening the Factory.

1) Open the Factory checkin process. There are still lot of internal scripts
should be published, or rewritten to rpmlint. And open the legaldb or similar
tool would be also very welcome.

Regards
Michal Vyskocil

a) branch o:F:C into o:11.3:C when Factory is branched into 11.3

b) once Factory is open for new packages, find devel projects for all
packages in Contrib, move them there and send requests for inclusion
Factory

c) once B is finished, kill o:F:C and maintain only forked version of
Contrib (+properly communicate the changes so people will be aware they
can (and should) push their packages into Factory)

Comments?