Re: [opensuse-factory] Status of Contrib
  • From: Daniel Fuhrmann <schoppehaller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:58:19 +0200
Am Monday 03 May 2010 18:47:12 schrieb Mariusz Fik:
Dnia poniedziałek, 3 maja 2010 o 15:30:29 Petr Uzel napisał(a):
On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 02:12:42PM +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
On 04/26/2010 11:13 AM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Karsten König wrote:
I was wondering if there is a definite decision about how to go on
forward with the seperation of Contrib and mainline Factory.

If I remember correctly Contrib was the place to submit stuff to as
normal contributor to openSUSE, now Factory is open for everybody to
submit stuff, based on reputation, skills and whatnot. So what's the
future of Contrib now, this looks like a limbo state to me.

Ack. Contrib doesn't make sense to me either.

It did make sense when each package in Factory had to have a maintainer
from Novell.

What I propose is the following:

a) branch o:F:C into o:11.3:C when Factory is branched into 11.3

b) once Factory is open for new packages, find devel projects for all
packages in Contrib, move them there and send requests for inclusion
Factory

In general, I agree. But IMO this step should be done in cooperation
with individual maintainers, because:
1. We don't want to enforce maintainers to have their packages in
Factory against their will.

If _maintainer_ pushed some package to o:F:C, why he wouldn't like push it
to factory?

2. That way we could identify abandoned packages (I fear there are
some in Contrib).

c) once B is finished, kill o:F:C and maintain only forked version of
Contrib (+properly communicate the changes so people will be aware they
can (and should) push their packages into Factory)

Petr

--
Petr Uzel, openSUSE Boosters Team
IRC: ptr_uzl @ freenode

For me, Pavol's idea is really good. Many more packages will be easily
available from one repository. And here is the end for some questions like:
"which repo does contain foo package? And bar package? Haw to add it?"

Why not freeze contrib with the released version? If one need a newer version
he could still go to any buildservice package.
So you have only:
- official (non)-oss
and - contrib repo. And the aim has to be include as many packages as
possible
to contrib and maybe keep factory/released oss-repo as small as possible.
So normal user has big choice with few repos.

This is my user pov.

Daniel