Re: [opensuse-factory] documenting new behaviors
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:52:47 +0100
On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 09:47:01AM +0100, jdd wrote:

now xorg.conf is completely desapearing, so what can we do in case of
problem.

Sorry for bringing this up slightly off topic but this is not true:
You can still have an xorg.conf if you need to (in case you have
strange hardware or need to guarantee that a certain mode appears).
The file is just optional.
If you really need one you can use SaX2 as long as it exists or
you can generate one by hand:
'Xorg -configure' still works and will generate you a file you can
use as a base. This file may not always be correct but you can use
it as a base to modify it to your needs with an editor.
This is not what you want to let your grandma do but I just mention
it here as a way the power user can create a config for .special needs'.

An experienced Linux user (as I am, being SuSE from more than 10 years
now), unable to make a box work in front of a new user is a very bad
advertisement.

so we should have a "migration white note", describing what the old
tools did that is no more usefull and what can be done now

and this is better done with a simple script with the old tool name
displaying this doc *inside the new distro*, because this come often
when one have no network.

Yes, I agree. There are a lot of useful things which can be done to
make life easier when migrating to new technologies.
But who do you ask to do this? The few people at Novell still left to
do openSUSE? There is only so much those people can do.
If people feel that this is badly needed there is nothing that stops
them from stepping up and doing it. It's the beauty of free software
that you can do it and openSUSE is completely open so you can do it
in there.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development