Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Stephan Kleine <bitdealer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 06:26:10 +0100
On 11/20/2009 08:16 AM, Sankar P wrote:
I am sure none of the thick clients will be dropped until the
web-interface matures and is fully functional. so Don't Panic. But I
see no reason why we should carry on with these thick clients on a
longer run. Web interface should be the default way to go as the
system can be managed even from a Windows machine. If you want
something less resource intensive and doesn't like GUI, use zypper.

The web interface is something that requires access from the outside via
http[s] while ncurses can be run locally e.g. via ssh without the need to run
something similar to a http server (besides comparing Yast to Zypper is like
comparing apples to oranges and ssh running just fine from windows e.g. with
putty).

Therefore please don't try to suggest that some "web yast" can replace any
local management tools that can be used by plain ssh.

Thanks a lot,
Stephan.