Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:37:08 +0000
On Friday 20 Nov 2009 12:02:31 Sid Boyce wrote:
On 20/11/09 09:00, Sankar P wrote:
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Vahis <waxborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sankar P wrote:
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Vahis <waxborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Meeks wrote:
Well - lets hope the "one yast2-web version to rule them all"
comes soon, and we can drop the ncurses package manager at the same
time as qt and gtk.

What on Earth are you talking about?
Dropping ncurses yast?

Please say it's a typo or something. Maybe a brain fart?

<snip>

If you want
something less resource intensive and doesn't like GUI, use zypper.

So you think YaST is only for software management?

imho, "brain-fart" is too harsh a word to use in this discussion.

And commandline interface to YaST over ssh without GUI, neither in
client nor server
is something very important.

YaST makes openSUSE unique as such, ncurses yast even more.

It's about remote administration in general, not just clickety software
management.

Don't say something should be dropped if you don't know what it is.
--
Vahis

I am surprised that still there exists networks with a need for remote
admin, but none of the client machines not being able to run a GUI
browser. Understand that I (or anyone) didn't demand a removal of
yast-ncurses and filed a FATE request for it. It is just a personal
opinion on the yast front end future as I perceive it.

However, my opinion on usage of "brain-fart" as harsh/needless still
holds.

Surprised? What good would it be if just one client does but it's not
the one you are minterested in? What if X is broken?
The thinking seems to be heading up a one-way street to evolving a human
being with 3 fingers on the right hand or the left depending on dexterity.
Sorry Sir, the GUI doesn't work on your box/my mouse is broken, no can
fix the problem.
I've done remote maintenance with cable modems either end and the GUI
never was going to be fast enough for practical use.
I don't expect my 80+ year old newbie (to computers) relative to use the
command line on his Linux box.
C'mon! how many missing brain cells does it take for you relatively
younger ones to become lazy and GUI bound?
Regards
Sid.

Hi Sid.

Yes there are some to say the least strange ideas doing the rounds at the
moment shutting down ssh doing away with ncurses yast but almost forcing raid
and lvm on people ho humm.

Pete .