Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:15:02 +0000
2009/11/19 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 13:22 +0100, Clayton wrote:

       So - just to put a stake in the ground; the Qt software management tool
employs an incredibly un-intuitive triple-(or more?) state field in a
tree-view to determine what to do with a package - simply keep clicking
to rotate around the umpteen states. That may be usable to people who
already know how it works ;-) but it is IMHO pretty shocking UI design.
yast2-gtk's package selector (for it's various faults) doesn't do that.

I think right-click explains how to use '-', '>' etc. The "toggle" is
misnamed, but such things are used in OSD's for example to select
between 'pages' of options. It's like a channel skip, as opposed to
radio buttons I suppose.

I wonder if whoever put all that effort and work into the GTK version
has ever done any work or research into usability and UI
architecture... it would fail if I passed it by any professional UI
architect I know.  I raised this comment back when it was implemented
and was dutifully shot down.

       Perhaps it was not the most constructive feedback :-)

       However - it is easy to test; Garret / Jakub - any chance of a quick
take on the relative merits of the UIs of both the yast2 gtk+ and qt
package selectors - and how we can improve the former ?

I have read some reviewer's past comments on confusing & quirky
management tools, which I had thought was likely due to confusing
labelling in some parts of installer. Generally the bits in YaST that
I ran into that I didn't like have been improved greatly in last
releases.

Rob