Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:13:46 +0000
Hi Martin,

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 14:03 +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:
Torsdag den 19. november 2009 13:48:56 skrev Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett:
I don't think the effort was worth it. Personally, I don't find the gnome
version of the software management module easier.

Well - lets hope the "one yast2-web version to rule them all" comes
soon, and we can drop the ncurses package manager at the same time as qt
and gtk.

Not to mention the added support load, from supporting users with two
completely different package manager UIs, duplicate effort writing
howtos etc.

This is quite normal for the case of having multiple desktops - surely.
In terms of concrete filed bugs vs. yast2-gtk I have seen very few over
the years.

Personally, I vastly prefer the gtk+ yast2 UI, and I have few-to-no
problems with the software manager :-) of course, I am some kind of
freak, so this is perhaps expected. The work also provided (for the
first time), an accessible yast2 - which is presumably appreciated by
some segment of the population (if people can remember that).

Last I heard, it was possible to do rather a nice GNOME live-CD
installation with no display, using the screen reader; though I havn't
tested that in 11.2 recently.

Regards,

Michael.

--