Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: Jigish Gohil <cyberorg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:37:38 +0530
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Torsdag den 19. november 2009 13:48:56 skrev Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett:
On Thursday 19 November 2009 12:18:02 David C. Rankin wrote:
    On my gnome install I have a really weird yast sw management module. My
guess is that it is just to gnome one, but I want to confirm. So do the
normal and gnome yast software management apps really have that
different of a UI? If so, can I make the gnome one back into the one I'm
used to?

Yes. Some years ago the Desktop team pushed for this user interface in
addition to the gtk native UI plugin.

I don't think the effort was worth it. Personally, I don't find the gnome
version of the software management module easier.

Not to mention the added support load, from supporting users with two
completely different package manager UIs, duplicate effort writing howtos etc.

Forgot to mention that openSUSE Edu Li-f-e[1] defaults to yast2-qt,
even on gnome :)

One of the reason for doing that was gtk sw_single module.

Cheers

-J

[1]
http://lizards.opensuse.org/2009/11/17/opensuse-edu-li-f-e-creating-open-minds/