Re: [opensuse-factory] unexpected / undocumented question during 11.1 -> 11.2 upgrade
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:52:38 -0500
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/11/10 14:01 (GMT-0500) Greg Freemyer composed:

I added a comment to the Upgrade/11.2 wiki entry to say the "zypper in
zypper" step may result in hundreds of packages being updated and take
10's of minutes to complete.

At least then users following the wiki will not be surprised as I was
by the large number of package modifications required by what appears
to be a simple single package update command.

ie. It took me 30 minutes to do that one step.

I don't run into that. After I update the sources to the new locations & do
zypper ref, and before zypper dup, I do something similar to as follows:

zypper in rpm wget curl aria2 mkinitrd yast2-Bootloader zypper libzypp dbus-1
hal udev satsolver-tools openSUSE-release

zypper is in the list of upgraded packages. When I pulled that from
11.2 repos, it took 30 full minutes to pull. And I was using a very
lightly loaded T-1 to do the upgrade.

It is not the end of the world, but it is also not very smooth.

Of course, I'm now running zypper dup, and that is 4 hrs in and still running.

Greg