Re: [opensuse-factory] unexpected / undocumented question during 11.1 -> 11.2 upgrade
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:01:04 -0500
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Jano Kupec <jkupec@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/10/2009 10:15 AM, A R wrote:
Hey Greg,

You have to, otherwise upgrading won't work ;)
Don't forget your other repositories (Packman, KDE4 and all the others).
You have to adapt repository Path to 11.2, too

I'm trying to follow the actual instructions which say to disable all
repos.  Then I added only the 3 11.2 repos listed.

In this case all other packages from those repos may behave unexpected, but

It is the results of zypper in zypper that I find very unexpected.

I skipped this information

I'm just trying upgrade one package "zypper".  I was not expecting 172
MB of download and what looks like hundreds of packages to be upgraded
/ downgraded.

You can take a look on the list of depencies of zypper. Those packages have
other dependencies as well. I am not surprised that hundrets of packages need
to be upgraded and I suppose that's the reason why the new version of zypper
is not available for 11.1.

Exactly. Zypper requires e.g. newer libzypp. And e.g. yast depends on
libzypp - that's why many yast packages must be pulled in, too. And it
goes similarly for the rest.

Thanks,

re: the next upgrade cycle (11.3)

It would seem to be a good goal that the 11.2 fully updated zypper be
the official upgrade path to 11.3, not having users have to pull
zypper from 11.3 to perform a supported upgrade. It is just one
package, so surely it can be made sufficient to the task without
forcing a full yast / kde update as a preliminary step in the upgrade
process.

re: current situation

I added a comment to the Upgrade/11.2 wiki entry to say the "zypper in
zypper" step may result in hundreds of packages being updated and take
10's of minutes to complete.

At least then users following the wiki will not be surprised as I was
by the large number of package modifications required by what appears
to be a simple single package update command.

ie. It took me 30 minutes to do that one step.

Greg