Re: [opensuse-factory] unexpected / undocumented question during 11.1 -> 11.2 upgrade
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:50:24 +0200
On 11/10/2009 12:11 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greg Freemyer a écrit :

I had Packman / KDE4 etc. in my repo list for 11.1, but as of this
test, they are all disabled, so I assume I don't have to adapt the
paths until I want to enable them. Which for me will be after the
upgrade.

it seems to me that an upgrade will remove any non covered package (no
more supported), so if you have packages that are only from packman,
packman should be enabled (but of course, 11.2 version)

the upgrade process is always tricky when packages are to be removed.
Are these package essential? if they are not removed, must the old
libraries be kept... that is why I realy fear upgrade and try to avoid
them

jdd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the packages it is removing did not come
from packman.

==
The following packages are going to be REMOVED:
3ddiag kdebase3-SuSE kdebase3-SuSE-lang kdebluetooth
kdebluetooth-lang kdepim3
kdepim3-kpilot kdepim3-notes kdm-branding-respin kgpg kitchensync
kopete
kopete-protocol-facebook libpackagekit-glib10 libstdc++43-32bit
libxklavier
uuid-runtime yast2-storage-lib
==

They just look like out of data packages that are no longer part of 11.2.

And again remember all I'm trying to do is follow the 11.1 -> 11.2
instructions and upgrade zypper to zypper from 11.2 prior to running
zypper dup.

I swear I've done that numerous times in the past and never had that
single command cascade into hundreds of package
upgrades/downgrades/vendor changes/removes.

See my original email for the full list.

Greg

They should remind you that kde3 is no longer in the main repos and you
need :-

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.2/ in
order to keep kde3 with 11.2
Regards