Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel clarification
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 10:49:36 -0500
On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The desktop kernel needs AFAIR PAE support, I'm not sure your CPU has it -
that might be the reason for the installation of the default one.

In general: kernel-desktop runs on "newer" hardware only, kernel-default
runs also on some older,

Kernel PAE was installed on 11.1 to enable the NX/XD bit on newer
machines, basically 64bit processors. The only 32bit procs that
support it is the Atom, the Intel Core Solo/Duo & some of the Pentium
M procs(Banias and some slower Pentium M's don't have support for it).
There was a lot of discussion about how the PAE kernel wasn't very
stable on some older hardware(I switched my P3 laptops to
default-kernel).

Personally, I'm not convinced that PAE should be enabled by default
because I'm not sure it's as efficient as not using it. Very few
32bit systems actually have the ability to use more than 4GB RAM. I'm
not a programmer, so I dunno. I guess in a way, PAE is kinda like the
old Expanded memory system under DOS because it pages out memory from
over 4GB into the 4GB range as needed(where ems pages out 64k chunks
from over 1MB into the UMB area of an 8086/8088 mode system).

I haven't really had time to play with 11.2 much(I finally installed
RC2 on my son's machine, an AlthonXP 3200+ but never did figure out
why hulu.com locks up the browsers) so I didn't notice the new kernel
setup.