Re: [opensuse-factory] Status: distribution
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:46:13 -0400
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stephan seemed to suggest that Thursday was still a possible for M8,
which surprised me as my bugreport was a hard show-stopper for any
testing on HP Proliants with SMART arrays.  When Stephan suggested I
just "fix it myself", I think it got everyones attention.  I still
think the thread has taken a stupid turn, even if Stephans suggestion
did touch a nerve.

Part of it could be the age of the machine. There's been a definate
trend to tell people to upgrade their machines over the last few
years. I've been told to upgrade the RAM in my P3 laptops or buy new
since a P3/500 isn't considered a reasonably useful system to many
these days. The fact that it's fast enough to play movies and
surf(without flash, which I despise anyway) seems to be lost on some
people. I've been waiting for the minimum requirements to move to
512MB and 2GB be the recommended for a while now. Even Linus has
recently be quoted complaining about code bloat and how it's making
the system slower.

I can't even run 11.0 with a GUI on a Powerbook G3/266 with 512MB RAM.
It's way too slow. However, a G4/466 runs it just fine.