Re: [opensuse-factory] Status: distribution
  • From: Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:17:03 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Basil Chupin wrote:
Why do we keep considering Novell anything else than just a community
member with big commitment?
Because Novell went out its way to acquire SuSE for its own benefit and
not for the sake of a "community" effort.

Well, things can change, can't they? And things have changed a _lot_
since November 2003 when the acquisition was announced. One of those
changes being that now _everyone_ can contribute, and increasingly
easily so.

5 years ago I had pride in waiting to get my copy of the latest SuSE and
I had spoken with confidence to my friends using anything other than
SuSE about the joy of using SuSE.

Basil, it occurs to me that openSUSE FACTORY simply might not be the
best choice for you. I am wondering whether openSUSE 11.1 (and 11.2
when it's been released or closer to the actual release) might be the
better option?

You mention that you were a happy SUSE Linux user eagerly awaiting the
next release, and I think if you go for openSUSE releases instead of
snapshots you may have a much better experience. Don't get me wrong,
we in the openSUSE project also gladly welcome testers and users of
our FACTORY distribution. It's just not fair to compare one with the
other.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Pfeifer E gp@xxxxxxxxxx SUSE Linux Products GmbH
Director Product Management F +49(911)74053-483 HRB 16746 (AG Nuremberg)