Re: [opensuse-factory] New thunderbird little problems - html?
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:58:02 +0200
Am 06.09.2009 20:22, schrieb Carlos E. R.:
I want to compose a new email in html format. How? I don't see
the option anywhere, it is plain text. I don't see anywhere the
tools to change formatting, and the "format" entry in the options
menu is missing.

I Found out that there is no way to select compose a single email in html.

The method is in account preferences, compose section, enable the box
for html compsing, then all emails are composed in html mode. Once the
compose window is opened, we can go to options, and select send as
html only, plain text only, or mix. But even if send as plain text is
selected the compose remains in html mode (I hope I did not made a
mistake and send this in html).

What would be useful is a button to select compose or reply or forward
a single email in html mode, which is a thing I very seldom do - but I
needed to, to run a test.

Yeah, I remember that feeling ;-)
When I needed that a few years ago I patched Thunderbird to provide an
additional menu item to compose an HTML message explicitely.
That patch was/is in the openSUSE package of Thunderbird 2. During the
update to 3.0 the patch got lost (don't ask for the reason, probably my
laziness to update the patch or the hope that TB3 would have a similar
option now). Also note that the patch was not optimal as it was never
localized and only hidden in the top menu.

No real solution at the moment. If you want to provide a patch/create an
extension we can talk about including it in the openSUSE package. I
don't _think_ that I'll find time before 11.2 myself. (hey, I'm on
vacation right now).

Wolfgang